4-day desert tour in Morocco
- Explore Zagora and Merzouga Desert in a 4-day desert trip departing from Marrakech.
- This tour takes you to explore the UNESCO site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou, the fabulous Draa valley, the legendary Tamnougalt Kasbah, the desert region in Zagora, and the desert region in Merzouga.
- After 4 days of touring Morocco, you return back to Marrakech and will get dropped off at your hotel.
Map & Itinerary
Departure is planned from Marrakech at 8h00 in the morning, taking the road to cross High Atlas mountains via the Tizi n’Tichka pass towards Ouarzazate for lunch next to the famous Kasbah of Taourirt, which presents the historical and cultural interest of Ouarzazate. After lunch you will travel to the south and cross the second pass which is Tizi N’Tnifift at 1710m and Ait Saoun village, the former route of caravans for Sahara traders coming from “Tombouktou”, you will reach the first administrative center called “Agdez Village” that marks the source of Draa Valley, with it’s 6 successive palm groves stating (Mezguita palmary, Fezouata…) and Kasbahs stating the famous Tamnougalt Kasbah. You will continue through the lunar landscapes and the Pre-Sahara routes until you get to Zagora which is a small town, the native region of the Saadian dynasty (Saadian tombs in Marrakech) who used to rule Morocco in the XVII century. 18 km furthermore you will arrive at Tamgroute, a small village where most of the locals are pottery handicrafts, Tamgroute is also well known for its old Koranic school and library collecting the old books. The next five kilometers will let you see the first sand dunes of Zagora called Tinfou dunes and give you a taste of Sahara desert dunes. You will be back to Zagora where you spend the first night of Marrakech, Zagora, Merzouga desert tour. Dinner and overnight in Zagora hotel.
After breakfast, you depart from Zagora towards the famous dunes of Erg Chebbi known as Merzouga Sahara desert dunes as well. The adventure continues along the valley of Draa, the village of Benizoli and Tazarine crossing the villages of Ait Atta of the Anti Atlas. You will free time for lunch in Alnif, a Berber village known for trilobite extractions (Possibility to have a specialized guide to exploring the trilobites, orthoceras, ammonites, and other fossils). After lunch, you will continue to Rissani city, the former capital of the Alawites Sultans. Rissani is known for its important market for caravans of sub-Saharan region Sijilmassa and the Moulay Ali Cherif gate, visit of the mausoleum of Moulay Ali Cherif, where the father of the founder of the Alouite dynasty is buried. This is a wonderful destination for those who wish to learn some of the histories of the country. It is important to see these amazing locations, especially if you’re backpacking around Marrakech after taking some cheap flights to get you into the area. There is much to see at the gate. Afterward, you will cross the Erg Chebbi to arrive at the inn at the foot of Merzouga Sahara desert dunes. From here, the caravan begins by exchanging your transportation by camels, a camel trek over the dunes at the sunset which lasts for about 2 hours before arriving at the bivouac; A camp with traditional nomadic tents located in an oasis where you spend the night., Enjoy playing drums with the camel drivers around a fire in the middle of your bivouac waiting for dinner.
A wake up early morning to enjoy the beautiful sunrise over the dunes, or take a climb one of the highest dunes of Merzouga, in front of your bivouac to dominate the complete view of the sunrise, followed by a typical breakfast and return to the hostel to take a shower, meet our driver. You leave to Erfoud, another city known for fossils, you will cross the Tafilalt oasis, a short break to see the ancient system of irrigation before you arrive at Tinejdad. Continuation to Todgha Gorges where you will have free time for lunch and you can take a walk along the gorges, local restaurants are available between the canyons of Todra gorges. In the afternoon, you visit the former Jewish district in Tineghir city and continue the road towards the Dades valley and go up to the Dades Gorges, one of the most beautiful touristic sites of southern Morocco. The 3rd night of the Desert tour from Marrakech will be in the heart of Dades gorges. Dinner and overnight in the Hotel.
The 4th and last day of your desert tour from Marrakech to Dades gorges. After breakfast, you start the tour via the Dades valley with its beautiful landscapes, kasbahs, and panoramic views of the ochre mountains where the colors and contrast change every 200m. You will join the principal road nicknamed the road of 1000 kasbahs for many of the Kasbah which you cross during your desert tour from Marrakech, then you will visit the city of roses called Kelaa Mgouna, a rose festival is celebrated every year in this city, then the fascinating Skoura palm grove at 50km before getting to Ouarzazate. You will continue to Ait Benhaddou village, the fortified ksar with its beautiful kasbahs, Ait Benhaddou has served as a natural decoration for many movie producers since the 1960s. Once you get to Ait Benhaddou village, you will have free time for lunch in a local restaurant overlooking the Kasbah, then you take a walk to go on the top of the hill to dominate the whole village. Afterward. In the afternoon, you will leave the red city of Marrakech, the start and endpoint of your Marrakech, Zagora, Merzouga, and Dades gorges Desert tour 4Days/3Night
4 days in Morocco
- You will be picked up from your hotel at 8:00 am (7:30 during winter months) by one of our colleagues, an English-speaking driver that will take you to our tourism licensed vehicle.
- Drop off around 5:30 p.m or 6:30 pm during winter months.
- Prices differ taking into account the number of people, accommodation preference, and other personal factors.
- Send us a reservation enquiry through the booking page, and we will get back to you as fastest we can.
NOTE: Check updated rates of the « 4-day Zagora and Merzouga from Marrakech » on our price page.
- Night in Zagora in an ensuite bedroom with A/C – dinner & breakfast (vegetarian meals possible).
- Sunset or sunrise camel trek.
- Night in desert camp (private tents) with dinner & breakfast.
- Free time to explore attractions such as Ait Benhaddou, Cinema Studios, Taourirt Kasbah, etc.
- Save time and money – Our prices are the lowest available in the market.
- Our Morocco tours are private.
- We are an operator, not a broker – You buy directly from us, the supplier.
- Our prices are fixed.
- No hidden fees.
- Assistance 24/7.
- Deposit payment upon confirmation and the remaining at the start of the tour.
- Payment methods such as PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Bank Wire, etc…