4-day Mhamid desert tour in Morocco
- Explore Zagora Desert in a 4-day desert trip departing from Marrakech.
- This tour takes you to explore the UNESCO site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou, the fabulous Draa valley, the ancient library in Tamgroute, the fantastic Telouet palace in the Atlas Mountain, the Iriqui National Park, and the desert region around Mhamid.
Map & Itinerary
We leave Marrakech “Red City” is the most important former imperial city in Morocco’s history. It is situated on the foothills of the snow-capped Atlas Mountains, which we will drive throughout for miles and miles enjoying the fascinating presence of superb and scattered Berber village. Almost halfway we will pass by the Universal heritage of Ait Ben Hadou Kasbah, a fortified village of the 11th century.35 km from Ait Ben Hadou Kasbah we will visit Hollywood of Africa Ouarzazate, where the biggest filmmaking studios. The drive will go on along the longest valley all over the kingdom 1052Km and the biggest palm tree oases. Arriving at Agadez where we will spend the night.
We keep driving along Draa Valley before passing by Zagora where the remains of an Almoravid fortress can still be seen. We pass by Tamagrout that is Situated on the Draa River. In this small town, we will visit the oldest libraries in the kingdom. Driving along Draa valley to M’hamid, which is a very modest village. and not much different from the village you have passed before arriving here. From a vast plateau, you will get impressed by the huge sand dune of Chigaga, where we go for a camel ride to meet one of the most fascinating sand dunes sights we will ever see, the superb sunset in the middle of the high sand dune. Tonight we stay in a Berber camp and enjoy a wonderful stars view.
From Chigaga we drive long sand dunes on a peaceful and fascinating wilderness some passing by the natural dried lake of Iriki.30 years ago this lake was full of water and different kinds of birds. After a long way of driving on an off-road. We get in to the regular road and pass the small town of Foum-Zguid, which is a noiseless and sleepy Berber town. We stopover in Taznakht.It was a former trading post for this large region. This little Berber village is one of the biggest centers of carpets in the kingdom. An easy drive and we get to Universal heritage of Ait Ben Hadou Kasbah, a fortified village of the 11th century where we will spend the night.
Just 40 km from Ait Benhaddou Kasbah, we will see the Kasbah of Telout, a former route of the caravans from the Sahara over the Atlas Mountains to Marrakech. It was the seat of the El Glaoui family’s power; they were given political power of Morocco south of High Atlas Mountains by King Moulay Hassan. The Glaouis were almost as strong in power as the sultan himself. The palace can still be visited but it is steadily becoming more damaged and is slowly collapsing. In 2010, work was underway to restore the property. We lunch in the Pass of Tichka and drive to Marrakech.
4 days in Morocco
- You will be picked up from your hotel at 8:00 am (7:30 during winter months) by one of our colleagues, an English-speaking driver that will take you to our tourism licensed vehicle.
- Drop off around 5:30 p.m or 6:30 pm during winter months.
- 2 participants: 5300 MAD per person
- 3 participants: 4550 MAD per person
- 4 participants: 3600 MAD per person
- Night in ensuite bedrooms with A/C – dinner & breakfast (vegetarian meals possible).
- Sunset or sunrise camel trek.
- Night in desert camp (private tents) with dinner & breakfast.
- Free time to explore attractions such as Ait Benhaddou, Cinema Studios, Taourirt Kasbah, etc.
- Save time and money – Our prices are the lowest available in the market.
- Our Morocco tours are private.
- We are an operator, not a broker – You buy directly from us, the supplier.
- Our prices are fixed.
- No hidden fees.
- Assistance 24/7.
- Deposit payment upon confirmation and the remaining at the start of the tour.
- Payment methods such as PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Bank Wire, etc…