A 3-day desert tour from Marrakech will take you to travel to Erg Chigaga Dunes, and some other exciting and impressive places.
On this excursion of 3 days in Morocco, you will cross the Atlas Mountains to arrive in the Sahara Desert.
3-day Mhamid desert tour in Morocco
- Explore Zagora Desert in a 3-day desert trip departing from Marrakech.
- This tour takes you to explore the UNESCO site of Ksar Ait Benhaddou, the Fabulous Draa valley, the famous Tamnougalt Kasbah, and the desert region in Zagora.
Map & Itinerary
Departure occurs in front of your hotel in Marrakech towards Ouarzazate and Zagora, through the Tizi-N-Tichka mountain pass at 2260 meters in the High Atlas Mountains. From Marrakech to Ouarzazate, you will enjoy a scenic drive, beautiful landscapes with different colors, and the Berber villages along the way. Taking the road to cross the High Atlas Mountains via the Tizi n’Tichka pass towards Ait Benhaddou village, you will visit the fortified ksar with it’s beautiful Kasbahs. Ait Benhaddou has served as a natural decor for many movie producers since the 1960s. Once you reach the village, you take a walk to go to the top of the hill. The fortified town is an attractive place and served as a movie set for many famous films such as Lawrence of Arabia, Jesus of Nazareth, or even Gladiator. Eventually, we arrive in Ouarzazate to have lunch next to the famous Kasbah of Taourirt. After lunch, you carry south and cross the second pass at Tizi N’Tnifift with 1710m, through the volcanic mountains and Ait Saoun village, the former route of caravans for Sahara traders coming from “Timbuktu.” You will reach the first administrative center called “Agdez Village” that marks the Draa Valley origin, with its palm groves and kasbahs. You will continue through the lunar landscapes and the pre-Sahara routes until you get to Zagora, a small town and the native region of the Saadian dynasty that used to rule Morocco in the XVII century. Night and dinner in a local hotel.
After breakfast, you will head to Tamagroute and visit the Zaouia Nasiryaa, one of the country’s oldest libraries. Driving along the Draa valley to M’hamid, you will get impressed by the vast dunes of Chigaga appearing from the horizon. Here you go for a camel ride and overnight in a desert camp.
From Erg Chigaga, you drive to Iriki Lake, along the dunes and peaceful wilderness. Thirty years ago, this lake was full of water and different kinds of birds. Today this place is a Natural Park and conversation area. After a long off-road driving, you get into the paved road and pass the small town of Foum-Zguid. Taznakht, a former trading post and one of the country’s biggest carpets centers come a bit more forward on the road. You cross the High Atlas Mountains again to return to Marrakech.
3 days in Morocco
- You will be picked up from your hotel at 8:00 am (7:30 during winter months) by one of our colleagues, an English-speaking driver that will take you to our tourism licensed vehicle.
- Drop off around 5:30 p.m or 6:30 pm during winter months.
- Prices differ taking into account the number of people, accommodation preference, and other personal factors.
- Send us a reservation enquiry through the booking page, and we will get back to you as fastest we can.
NOTE: Check updated rates of the « 3-day Erg Chigaga desert tour from Marrakech desert » on our price page.
- Night in ensuite bedrooms with A/C – dinner & breakfast (vegetarian meals possible).
- Sunset or sunrise camel trek.
- Night in desert camp (private tents) with dinner & breakfast.
- Free time to explore attractions such as Ait Benhaddou, Cinema Studios, Taourirt Kasbah, etc.
- Save time and money – Our prices are the lowest available in the market.
- Our Morocco tours are private.
- We are an operator, not a broker – You buy directly from us, the supplier.
- Our prices are fixed.
- No hidden fees.
- Assistance 24/7.
- Deposit payment upon confirmation and the remaining at the start of the tour.
- Payment methods such as PayPal, Credit/Debit Cards, Bank Wire, etc…